Speaker: Nouman Ali Khan
Date: 26 June 2014
- When we think of Ramadhan, we often think it's the month of fasting. But Allah talks about Ramadan in the Quran only once.
- Ramadhan should be the month of the Quran, we get closer to Allah, make dua a lot, give up sins etc.
- It is proposed that IF WE WANT TO CHANGE in terms of attitude etc, THIS IS THE MONTH to do it.
- It is the time where we start all over again, like it is the first time we begin to understand the Quran.
- We need to set our intention that in this month of Ramadhan, I want to learn something about this Quran. Try to find the love and spread the love.
- There are 3 sections of ayah in this surah
- 1st section talks about the believers
- 2nd section talks about Bani Israel
- 3rd section talks about Friday prayer
- (but this talk will only cover the 1st part of the surah)
Whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth is exalting Allah , the Sovereign, the Pure, the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
- Allah starts with the word 'yusabbihu' = everything is doing tasbih to Allah
- Why it is important? Because nobody should be reminded to do their tasbih. Just look around, EVERYTHING is doing tasbih, wiithout you realising it.
- Allah mentions 4 of His names in this Ayah
- Al-Malik (King)
- Al-Quddus (The ultimate pure, the purifier)
- Al-Aziz (The one who gets respect, authority)
- Al-Hakim (The wise, has wisdom)
It is He who has sent among the unlettered a Messenger from themselves reciting to them His verses and purifying them and teaching them the Book and wisdom - although they were before in clear error.
- This ayah is said to be the heart of the surah
- The messenger was picked within his society (ummiyin, those who cannot read and write). Allah can pick any most knowledgeable person in the society to be the messenger but He picked the one who cannot read and write. Importance: everybody deserves respect
- usually: messenger, someone who has message. To get message, one needs to be from the outside, but Allah picks His messenger within the society.
- There are 4 formula for the messenger to accomplish his mission
- Mission: to take people out of corruption, and bring them into the light (the deen).
- How? Through the processs of the 4 formulas
There are 4 Formulas for us when we feel so distant from Allah
- Engage with the words of Allah
- Recite His words, think about His words.
- Recite it constantly as He is talking to you. You have direct access to Him
- Yatlu alaihim ayati. He give you the Quran so you could understand
- Story: when wine was not yet prohibited, the drunken sahabah was not allowed to pray until they know what they are saying. Importance of knowing what you recite in your prayer
- Has 2 meanings: purify mind. purify heart
- Mind: Allah teaches us how to think properly. We will be more intelligent when we know how to ask the right question. When we can think, then we can purify our mind
- Heart: place where all the diseases are. Jealousy, hatred, laziness, lust etc. If we properly understand the Quran, we will be better. Anger will not go away, but somehow we will get to control it.
- There is no book that cleanse mind and heart at the same time. Only Quran can
- The Quran will change the way you think, spend your time, manage your life etc
- This is where the education starts
- The need to have teacher-student relationship
- Teacher will make the students understand, give them tests, students ask questions. Teaching is not easy. So it requires determination and be serious with it.
- We go through process. We were not serious - we heard the ayah - we want to become serious.
- We cannot expect everybody will be at the same stages. So don't get angry to those who are not yet at the same stage with us.
- To deal with people properly, we need wisdom, common sense and not only through knowledge.
- Just because we are muslim, doesn't mean that all have high level of iman
- There is hope for everyone, so do not underestimate people.
p/s:look all the 4 names of Allah which are mentioned in the first ayah are superimposed with Rasulullah's activity in second ayah.
And [to] others of them who have not yet joined them. And He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
- Imagine how Islam has travelled from the Arab land to Malaysia. If it's not because of people before us, we may not get to say La Ilaha Ilallah.
- Islam is a gift from Allah, but this gift is not free, it comes with responsibility. So it is our turn to spread the dakwah to those who didn't yet say La Ilaha Ilallah.
That is the bounty of Allah , which He gives to whom He wills, and Allah is the possessor of great bounty.
- That is the favour of Allah. He gave it to you and me
- We need to take it, and give it to others to feel it too.
disclaimer: notes are exstracted from the lecture. Any mistakes found may come from my own weaknesses.
click here for the video recording